Wednesday 16 May 2007

The Animatic

Hey people. I was up till about 4 in the morning re-editing my animatic, or rather finishing it. We had a screening at the national gallery back in April. I was so worried because mine wasn't finished but it was still well received which I’m pleased about.. At that screening were some professional animators, lectures, the gallery administrators and students from the Royal College of Music who were commissioned to write music for our films (yes, this year The London Animation School pulled out all the stops). We got to listen to samples of their music and I was so amazed at the level of their work. Some of them showed interest writing for my film, 2 in particular Ed Farmer and Maurizio Malagnini (check out they’re sites, these guys are professionals) It was such a hard choice to make as they are both extremely talented, and I know little about music. For me Ed seemed to be very diverse but Maurizios stuff seemed to fit my film better (the music on the film at the moment is from the Gladiator soundtrack. Its called progeny. It won't be in the final film). Either way, I hope to keep in contact with both of them, who know what could happen. Then again I could write the music myself, I’m really good at playing chopsticks :)

Anyway hope you enjoy the animatic. I don’t think there are enough drawings in this, and I’m going to work on the establishing shot of Venus’ sky platform but I think it gets the idea across. Let me know what you think.

And Again....
Wes

PS: Thanx to everyone for the comments on the last post. I'm overwhelmed by the positive feedback and your belief in me. I'll try not to let you down.






The Decree Animatic from Libra Bear Vids on Vimeo

13 comments:

Olivier Ladeuix said...

great stuff Wesley, some shots seem a bit fast, can you put the shot numbers?

Anonymous said...

Hello

I'm so impressed, i know i'm no expert but this is so good. Remember don't forget your friends in the CJU when you become big and famous.

Kristian said...

breathtaking..homie! i loved it. the close ups are going to look great, one question is father time breathing in the air near the begining?
great shot choice. its going to look fabulous. If i can assist in any way don't hesitate to ask.

Daniel M.C. Alvite said...

hey wes,,,
it´s pretty cool.
The openning seq, is amaizing, the flying bit..lovely,,,,you hav changed the pan, from zeus to her, the pan up temple and down on her...looks good, maybe the fade out is too long,,
but as usual, i´m impressed.,...god work mate...
I hope you´ve started animating this already..
good work

messytimbo said...

My friend you should be so proud of this and what you've achieved thus far on the course.
Don’t worry about letting people down, just give it your best shot, (for yourself) if you know you've done that, you can be happy.
Or "just listen to your heart, that what I do"

Anonymous said...

thank you.. thank you.. thank you.. for changing the landing sequence. it's nice. still not feeling the final image but i reckon it will be cool when you draw it through.

i'm so excited can't wait to see it complete. I showed the graphic guy and some architects and they really loved it...and they don't even understand its an animatic?!!

Anonymous said...

BLUD IT IS BIG!!!

i watched it again.. and again.. and again...

a n d...


A G A I N ..!!


it's just soooo BIG!! just roll up the sleeves blud, no long ting, just deal with it. ps. book a seat on front row for the man dem...STANDARD!!!

Unknown said...

Hi LB... I just saw your animatic, and I really like!! The sequence closing up her... very nice!! The sound, nice too! I cant wait to see more! Good luck! And very good work!!

Doctor Cerebro said...

I love it, dude, that is quality stuff. Keep on rocking.

Olivier Ladeuix said...

hey actually watching it again the timing is not that bad. Maybe that it is the fast succession of similar shots: from wide shot to close up that made it look a bit too much like manga (do we say Anime or Manga?)

but looking at it again it feels pretty good.

Alex Boakye said...

Wow! Great Piece there Wes. I especially like the editing done to it (the blending in and panning across of the shots); it shows how much you've thought about it - as if it were to be viewed at a cinema.

I like the music too, I hope whatever you choose in the end keeps up to the dramaticism of the item.

Well done man,
Alex

Tim Moen said...

duuuude, thanks for the comments, but man amazing animatic. the biggest problem i see with student animatics and storyboards is simplicity and understanding. i once got critiqued on boards by a director named barry cook. he told me that i needed to simplify my boards and work on my continuity. you exemplify everything that he said is a good animatic. your boards are clear, simple, yet interesting and they tell the story in a very understandable matter. awesome job. my one critque is just drawing related...the last shot of the girl is freaking the crap out of me lol. its her eyes, they are a little crooked to each other. hahah its such a small detail and it is just a placeholder being an animatic. it just caught me off guard. hope to see you 'round the blog. -tim

Tim Moen said...

and by the way, beautiful animation below, i enjoy bruce lee and especially his design sheets.